Preliminary Final Wrap

The Peard Seniors booked their ticket to the big dance with a gritty 10 point win over Curtin Uni Wesley at South Oval on Saturday.

In blustery conditions pushing hard across the ground, the two sides slugged it out in the opening term. Both sides threw themselves at the contest and, as you would expect in a big final, the pressure on the ball carrier was enormous.

Curtin got the early breakthrough with a free kick deep inside forward 50 and after much toing and froing the Peard Seniors strung together a passage of play to take the ball deep into attack where, with the pressure on, Mitch Mcphee swooped on the loose ball to get the answering goal.

Heading into the first change Curtin held a slender, two point advantage.

The Peard Seniors hit the front in the second quarter but Curtin got an immediate reply. Curtin then extended their advantage with a second goal in short succession before the scoring dried up for both sides.

As time ran down Scott Worthington made the most of a late opportunity to kick his second for the game and, on the stroke of half time, had a chance to kick his third but was unable to convert and the Seniors went into the main break trailing by a point.

The scrap continued at the start of the third. Both sides defences were under pressure but where holding up and it wasn’t until Tom Irwin took a strong mark then converted the goal from well outside 50 that the impasse was broken and the Peard Seniors hit the front.

They had the chance to extend their lead shortly after but a missed opportunity saw Curtin run the ball end to end to draw the margin back.

Both sides then struggled to break the deadlock, with the wind causing havoc and holding the ball out on the far boundary. Befitting the situation, the pressure on the ball carrier was immense. The sides fought it out through the wings until the Seniors got a clearance from the throw in to hit up Scott Worthington who played on quickly to find Joel Ashman in space and running into the open goal to take the margin back out to seven points.

It looked like that margin would hold but Curtin gained a late inside 50 and converted a goal after the siren to reduce the margin to one point heading into the final quarter.

With the challenge laid down and a spot in the Grand Final in sight, the Peard Seniors started to gain the ascendency around the contest. They found their run and fluency moving forward and when a sweeping handball found Warren Benjamin in open space for a goal the pressure of the situation fell heavily on Curtin.

The Peard Seniors were peppering the goals but they still couldn’t break away. The backline held strong and repelled all advances to take some of the pressure off but the prize was too much to take the foot off.

As the final minutes ticked down, the ball was locked in the Peard Seniors forward half. The backs had held strong, rendering Curtin scoreless in the final quarter.

With the ball deep inside the Seniors attacking 50, the siren sounded and jubilation erupted as the Peard Seniors held on for a 6.7-43 to 5.3-33 win to knock the minor premiers out in straight sets and confirm their place in a Grand Final against the old enemy.

It was a fantastic, hard fought win for the Peard Seniors. Their tackling pressure, particularly in the last quarter, was immense but their attack on the football all day was outstanding.

Senior Coach Wayde Twomey was brilliant all day and really led from the front. He collected plenty of the ball and his pressure acts set the standard. Chris Baker and Harrison Court also had great games. They also set the bar high with their pressure and consistency across the four quarters while Scott Worthington was fantastic up forward, hitting the scoreboard and also setting up several opportunities.

Scott Worthington’s two goals was the most of any of the Peard Seniors, while Tom Irwin, Warren Benjamin, Joel Ashman and Mitch McPhee rounded out the goal kickers with one apiece.

The win sees the Peard Seniors qualify for their third A Grade grand final appearance in five years and sets up the biggest Battle of the Beaches since the side returned to the A grade competition.

It is going to be an enormous day out at Steel Blue Oval in Bassendean and we look forward to seeing a massive crowd of Scarborough faithful making their way to the ground to watch the Peard Seniors go head to head with North Beach to claim the Sandover Shield.


Peard Seniors           1.0-6      3.2-20         5.4-34         6.7-43

Curtin Uni Wesley     1.2-8       3.3-21          5.3-33          5.3-33

Goals: Scott Worthington 2, Tom Irwin, Warren Benjamin, Joel Ashman, Mitch McPhee

Best: Wayde Twomey, Chris Baker, Harrison Court, Scott Worthington


No Replies to "Preliminary Final Wrap"